About Me

British ex-pat trying her hand at blogging while enjoying the Middle-Eastern sun

Thursday 23 May 2013

- Once upon a time...


''Will You Marry Me? ...."


''.....Yes!''


21st December 2012, I was a very lucky girl because it was on this date that my wonderful boyfriend became by fiancĂ©e!   And here is my proposal ring....... the engagement ring is yet to be decided! 




Some people say that having a long-distance relationship never works, but I am about to prove you wrong, and here’s why.....

Taking a few steps back and to set the scene:  

I first met this wonderful human being around three to four years ago, and at the first sight of J,  I was instantly attracted to him - he had it all: he spoke well, had an amazing smile, an addictive sense of humor and of course, being from Trinidad, he was very charming indeed.  

We were both friends with the same couple, but had only now met one another; the girl, V, I worked with, and the boy, N, was J's friend from school. We spoke a little to one another - I was trying to find the right things to say (while playing it cool... ha-ha) but at the same time, I was genuinely lost for words.  I really liked him and so I decided to just enjoy my time in his company and hear what he had to say.

I didn't see again J for a long while, well over a year, not until Notting Hill Carnival.  The same couple we mutually knew, V&N, were going to Chocolate Mas and I joined them for my second year running, bringing along a dear friend of mine, G.  Now, to explain what Chocolate Mas is!!  As an extreme chocoholic, an event like this is something you simply cannot turn down.  You are part of a band (group) who walk the carnival in between two trucks: the one at the front supplies the music and the one at the back holds the alcohol and food.  The point of this group is that you walk the carnival while smearing, throwing, rubbing chocolate into your fellow band mates - very messy indeed.   Combine that with alcohol, the sun, music = an amazing time......


Giggling while G takes a pic of me next to J - subtle, eh?
PS: Yes, that is chocolate!! Yum ;)


The girls!  


The end result - G is officially a Chocolate Mas member :)


... I digress.

Anyway, it is here that we re-met and straight away I smiled and told my friend, G, OMG I met this guy a while ago and I really, really like him.  She laughed and decided to spend the rest of the time, threatening to push me into him, getting us close together and so forth - the usual childish things you do... at the age of 28!

While G and V screamed and ran away from me, with my hands cupped together and filled with melting chocolate, along came J - topless and smiling - so naturally I smeared chocolate all-over-him, trying to hide my HUGE grin while doing so! 

We soon got in touch with one another and as they say, the rest is history!  J lived in Qatar (close, right?) while I lived in the grey climbs of London.  We Skyped one another at least 3 times a day, talking for a min of 6 hours about anything and everything.  He flew out to London every two weeks and I then flew to Qatar, and it was on my second trip when he popped the question.  After little deliberation, we decided to get married in Trinidad, July 2013 - 7 months away.

When I returned to London, I quit my job and spent a month preparing for my move to the magical Middle-East......... oh and starting to plan our wedding!


Love,

International Bride

xoxo











No comments:

Post a Comment